Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2012

UPDATED: McConnell Elected as TEC-Pgh Bishop on 6th Ballot: Announced at Approx. 3:20 PM EDT today

In the spirit of the "Dewey defeats Truman" headline in the 1948 presidential election, let me say, my self-styled expertise as a election prognosticator is greatly over-rated. After the deadlocked third ballot,I had predicted R. Stanley Runnells would be elected Bishop of the TEC-Pgh Diocese and I was absolutely wrong! The laity jumped over to Dorsey McConnell rather than the clergy moving to Runnells as I had predicted would happen. As Gomer Pyle used to say: "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise" What do I know. All I can say is: God bless him. Bishop-elect McConnell has his work cut out for him. Time will tell whether the master reconciller he is touted to be, really is so.

UPDATE 4/23/12: Lionel Deimel is not happy with the way things worked out or were managed by the Convention handlers and by TEC Bishop Price. And funny thing, beleive it or not, it seems "conservative" Phil Wainwright agrees with Lionel. And Phil was just estatic over McConnell's election. WOW

Click here http://blog.deimel.org/2012/04/snatching-defeat-from-jaws-of-victory.html

5 comments:

  1. God did this. Dorsey didn't seem to be making a good impression at the walk-abouts, and I didn't see how he could win. I was convinced the clergy would go for him, but the laity would go for Runnels, and we would end up after ten ballots voting for Ambler as the centrist compromise. But God did this instead.

    I think God has more surprises in store for Pittsburgh--but not till October, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Philip! So God is on the move in your Diocese. I'm not holding my breath. I'll let you know on June 1st

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Phil says "God has more surprises in store for Pittsburgh--but not till October," I suddenly wondered whether Dorsey's October 20 ordination and consecration might conflict with the scheduling of the Pittsburgh/Boston World Series Game 2 . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. A predictable start for our hometown Buccos but the Bosox! They look as bad as we do. What's up with that!

    Since we are dealing with improbables, maybe your new bisop will ask Bob Duncan to be a co-consecrater along with Katie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just too bizarre. Why is Anglican Yinzer following this? Why am I following Anglican Yinzer? After all, the divorce has been finalized. Maybe the children still don't get it. Or maybe we're all just gawking at the continuing view of this auto accident? The church sure is a funny institution. Too bad her customers (who choose hamburger A or Hamburger B) don't see it this way.

    ReplyDelete